The Children’s Choir “Zvezdice” (Serbian “The Stars”) was formed in 2002 as a project with the support of UNDP – United Nations Development Programme for the development and improvement of cultural activities among the youngest population. Despite all social and economic circumstances, the choir, which has for years operated in the far south of Serbia, represents a qualitative benchmark for children’s choir singing in Serbia. The ensemble’s very existence and successful work is the best incentive for work. The ensemble supports development of talented children, who, in turn, through further education and training contribute not only to cultural, but general development of their region.
The choir brings together 30 children aged 8-16, affirming the tradition of choral singing. The Stars children’s choir have performed in front of audiences both at home and abroad, in such countries, as Macedonia, Bosnia, Bulgaria, France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Austria, Romania, Hungary.
The Stars choir goes on concert tours regularly under the auspices of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Serbia, acting as an ambassador of Serbian culture.
- winner of the categories „special award for singing culture“, „special prize for the most impressive performance“ at the International Festival of Children and Youth Choirs 2011, Bratislava, Republic of Slovakia
- 1st prize, special prize for best stage performance at the International Choir Festival 2013, Ohrid, Macedonia
- 1st prize for Best Performed Artistic Composition, 1st prize for Best Performance at the Gran Prix FEDEHO 2014, Belgrade, Serbia
- 2nd prize at the Rimini International Choral Competition 2015, Italy
- further participations at choir festivals in Serbia, Poland und Romania
- two October Awards of the City of Leskovac for outstanding contribution in the field of culture (2009, 2017)
- Council of the City Council for outstanding contribution in the field of culture (2013)
Audio example "Lollipop"
PhD Jelena Cvetković is the conductor and artistic director of the choir as well as a teacher of Solfeggio and Methodology of Solfeggio in the Faculty of Art at the University of Nis. She is a member of the Honorary Board of the Festival Ledamus and member of the Organizing Committee of the City Concert Season in Leskovac.